Wednesday 7 May 2014

My Character


 Even though this unit is not primarily based on how well characterised you are still think it is the most important component of story of story telling. Because George Orwell was obviously making a social commentary on the "Hitler youth" as he did which he did a lot in with 1984 (reference to  Nazi Germany during the 1930's). Consequently I have decided to model some of my character after him.

I am also going to be taking a lot of inspiration from modern day drill sergeants and military people. I have done some research into the Hitler Youth and modern day scouts and I am going to try meet in the middle. Hitler wanted basically mini soldiers that he could bend
to his whim. Much like the warlords who use
child soldiers (which is an an atrocity) Big Brother wanted to make the next generation combat ready and void of humanity. I guess training children to be soldiers in a way shows a sign of desperation and a lack of resources. I will make sure that my character has all this subtext going on behind.

My character will be ruthless and forceful. The minute that I utter my first line I shall transform into this scary general. Though I must simultaneously exude charisma and persuasion. I would not be able to do the section were I get the audience to sing the Spy Youth Song if I seem unapproachable but they must fear me. I can either scare them into singing the anthem or persuade them that if they don't start singing the though police will take them away.

AND even harder all this will be contradicted! At the climax of the performance. When it turns out that all along I have been a secret rebel training up thought criminals and my true intentions are shown. My objective throughout the performance is to train. This is the absolute goals of my character and this is the reason my character will have a more urgent disposition.


Character bio
Name: Trevor Shepard - Sergeant Shepard
Age: 16-18
Past: After growing up in the spy youth he learned to despise big brother and the whole INGSOC regime but he saw anyone who opposed it killed brutally. He saw many atrocities before his 16 birthday. He watched his friends mindlessly indoctrinated but he would not be turned. One the time came to when he had to denounce his parents to the thought police it broke his heart and stole his humanity yet he continued on as if it pleased him to obey big brother.




No comments:

Post a Comment