Thursday 8 May 2014

You me bum bum tree

2010 ShowQuite possibly the strangest sounding immersive theatre company out of the bunch. Finding information about them is made quite difficult. I see that they have done this to make sure that their audience are surprised and do not know before hand what they are about to experience. In the "What is you me bum bum train?" section of the website they purposely state this:
"recommends to those that want to experience the show to not read any press or do any research about the shows! The less you know about the show the better so close your ears!" 
This is a clever and destructive device in my opinion. I guess if you have the element of surprise the audience is destined to have 10x more of a spontaneous performance. Each individual spectator would have a new experience like no other and would create a new story for the first time. I love how they say "experience" and not see the shows. This makes me feel like there goal is not to simple show and audience a play or performance but to give them a one off special experience to hold with them forever.

However this can be a destructive technique as the audience has no way of knowing whether they will enjoy the particular show. Some people do not like to step out of the comfort zone and they prefer to know what they are stepping in to. If I was a manger of my own Theatre company I would not take such a big risk as one of my main priorities would be to sell tickets!

No comments:

Post a Comment