Thursday 8 May 2014

Evaluation of the set construction

Considering that my performance space was outside and didn't need dressing or setting up I spent the time in lesson helping with all the other rooms and helping to create even more more multimedia. I am going to be evaluating the ways in which I positively contributed to the performance through creating props and scenery.

Rope - Little things that and audience member might happen upon is more likely to create a lasting effect than something obvious and big in their face that needed to be pointed out. I found an old piece of rope that no one was using and because I am useless at tying knots I got one of my fellow classmates to create a fake noose. I considered how I could up the ante I added some fake blood that dried and crusted onto the rope giving it a "used" look. My reasoning behind this was that if an audience member was to see this they would be creating a story in their own mind and making up question; Why is that there? Has something happened? Why was that person hung? How many times has it been used? They could even touch it meaning this engaged there feel senses.

Static TV - This is one of the things I was most proud of. As they were clearing out the back cupboard I noticed that there was a  huge TV set with a wheel-able stand like the kind that got used when I was in primary school. I had previously visited the room 101 set and in my opinion it was looking a little bare and needed some "padding". So I decided to do an experiment and wheeled down to room 101. It already gave the room more depth and added a little story. An audience member could come in and see this and think it was used for brain washing or something creepy. To step up a gear I tested if it was still working and plugged it in not hoping for much. The huge screen came on and the  bright static not only helped to illuminate the room even more but gave off this faint buzzing noise as well adding extra layers. This also helped to solve the problem of the lack of light as the windows were blacked out to create the illusion of total night and darkness and isolate the audience from the outside world.

The Blanket - For the creation of Stanley's room the bed was made by using a couple of stage blocks and covering them with pillows and a duvet. Although the group in charge of this room had lost the original duvet and replacement was needed fast. As I was helping to find it I ended up in the room 101. They need to get rid of this hay textured large piece of material. I used my initiative and saw it as a chance to once again experiment with set creation. At first the group didn't want to use it so I augured that it would give the illusion of poverty and discomfort within the room. I persuade that the audience would connect this with cheap and uncomfortable living.





No comments:

Post a Comment